STMleader.com

Home Forums Got a Short Term Mission Question? Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism — Comments

Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism — Comments

This topic contains 1 reply, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aryelle Aryelle 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Aryelle
    Aryelle
    Participant

Here is a place for everyone to post their comments on the reading assignment. Below are some of mine.

Chapter 1: Is Jesus really the centre of the gospel? He should be, but we have misplaced Him in a way that we have completely removed Him. He needs to regain the centre of attention.

Chapter 2: Out of any other religion, we have an unfair advantage because we have Jesus. We don’t have to “sell our religion” to others because Jesus attracts people to Himself when we talk about Him.

Chapter 3: We need to stop being defensive about Christianity and learn how to be more like Jesus.

Chapter 4: I loved the quote from this chapter that says, “We’re aware of Jesus, but we are obsessed with Christianity. We’re stuck on its requirements and we’re defined by its doctrines, caught in an endless struggle to find out where we fit, if we’ve “arrived” yet, and if we’re doing it right.” (Medearis, 2011, p. 73). We need not be so concerned about where we fit, but rather if Christ is our focus or not.

Chapter 6: People tend to label Christianity. Take away the label, show them Jesus, and allow Him to do the work. He’s much better at it than we are!

Chapter 7: We shouldn’t feel pressured to get someone off the “wrong team” and onto “our team”. Instead we should simply be kind and loving and talk about Jesus. It’s not our responsibility to “sell” Him… He’s compelling all by Himself. We just have to do the introduction.

Chapter 8: The gospel is good news. Why then do so many people get angry and defensive when they hear it? Maybe we need to reevaluate how we are presenting the gospel to others.

Chapter 9: “Christianese” terms turn people away from Jesus. Avoid these terms because people already know them and have attached their own stereotypes to them.

Chapter 10: We need to be careful to make sure we don’t deify Jesus too quickly, but follow Him as a man first. This allows us to keep Him close… us humans need this for some reason.

Profile photo of Aryelle
    Aryelle
    Participant

Chapter 11: This chapter addresses something I have discovered. The more I learn about Jesus, the more I realize how little I really know. I think this is because the more I study, the more I uncover the complexities of Christ that I don’t think I will ever fully understand… and that’s okay.

I have read 100% of this book

#storytelling

Profile photo of Paige
    Paige
    Participant

Chapter 1: I love how the book says we can only do one of two things, give people Jesus or give them wasted sewage…let’s refocus on Jesus.

Chapter 2: It’s not about selling people Christianity like it saves people in and of itself, we’re telling people about our friend.

Chapter 3: Keep Christianity a spiritual response from the heart rather than a religion of the mind. You don’t have to give a reason for why events in church history happened, you just have to talk from the heart about Jesus.

Chapter 4: There’s a difference between Western Christianity and Jesus, and we have to let Jesus work on hearts and the salvation of His people, our eloquent words will never suffice.

Chapter 5: Jesus didn’t come to start up a new religion or kingdom, He is the kingdom, He is the gospel, He is the message, and He shouldn’t be overlooked in light of a “religion”.

Chapter 6: In order to be like Jesus you actually have to know the words He spoke and what He did, then try to let that affect how you live your life.

Chapter 7: Don’t get so preoccupied with adding members to Team Christian, just talking about Jesus will be the most beneficial for you and those you are talking to.

Chapter 8: We need to make sure our presentation of the gospel actually is good news, rightly spoken, and fitting for the situation that we’re in.

Chapter 9: Take away any labeling words that will hinder how people perceive you and just try to be a follower of Jesus.

Chapter 10: Don’t settle for idolizing Jesus’ death but disregarding the importance of His life and words.

I’ve read 100% of this book.

#storytelling

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

1. I presented a gospel to Christian Bible college students and left out Jesus. NOBODY NOTICED ( Pg. 24)

2.  “While we were all busy defending our religion and our positions, you simply talked about Jesus. You Cheated!” (Pg. 38)

3. When we preach Jesus, we don’t have to own anything. Jesus owns us. (pg. 47)

4. Instead of a theologically manufactured, doctrinally approved boundary, there is only the space between the person and Jesus. The differential is the arrow, which designates the intention of the heart.  (pg.68)

5. Jesus didn’t come to build a kingdom. He brought one with him. He is the kingdom. (Pg. 79)

6. I discovered that people are so turned off by religion, but so attracted to the things Jesus taught. (Pg. 92)

7. Christians in America are not in the minority at all. But we constantly display all the traits of a minority group. (Pg. 101)

8. Sometimes we are “persecuted”not because of the message but because of our delivery (Pg. 109)

9. We are people trying to follow Jesus. As simple (and complex) as that. (Pg. 129)

10. living a life like Jesus must begin with being a student of Jesus.  (Pg. 138)

I have the read the textbook in it’s entirety.

Profile photo of Joshua
    Joshua
    Participant

1. “What if our concept of salvation is based on a gospel that is the sum of its explainable parts?” (p.22)

2. “While others are explaining and defending various ‘isms’ and ‘ologies’, we’re simply pointing people to our friend.” (p. 38)

3. “When we preach Christianity, we have to own it. When we preach Jesus, we don’t have to own anything. Jesus owns us.” (p.47)

4. “Understanding the doctrine of forgiveness does not deliver us from sin. Jesus does.” (p. 73)

5.  “There are six billion people out there cramming everything they can into the lonely holes in their hearts, whether it’s sensible or not. Whether it’s logical or not. Where it’s deadly or not.” (p.79)

6. “But rather than criticize, we need to get our eyes off of others and just focus on ourselves, our lives and how we’re striving to be the hands and feet of Jesus.” (p. 94)

7. “Our identity as Team Christian generates many of our challenges when trying to speak of Jesus to our neighbors and coworkers in a way they can hear.” (p. 99)

8. “If the people you are trying to reach have you pegged as a missionary, you’re going to have to work twice as hard to get to them.” (p. 128)

9. “Living in the wisdom and compassion of the true Way, the life of the Nazarene, is in itself a death of sorts.” (p. 156)

10. “It becomes very difficult to “love the sinner, hate the sin” when we hole up in a defensive posture.” (p. 170)

#storytelling
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>I have read 100% of the book, Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism,  by: Carl Medaris
    –   Joshua Ginn</p>

Profile photo of Colin
    Colin
    Participant

Chapter 1: “You simply cannot change a person into your own likeness. It doesn’t work”. I found this chapter profound in that it reinforces that we often over-complicate the Gospel rather than just pointing people to Jesus.

Chapter 2: It is not our job to explain everything of Christianity, we merely allow Christ to speak for himself.

Chapter 3: “The Gospel is not what. It is not a how. The Gospel is a Who”. I often find myself using pointless jargon when explaining the Gospel. The Gospel is Jesus. We Need to preach Jesus.

Chapter 4: Jesus draws people to himself. Rather the who’s “in” and who’s “out” we should focus on how close we are to Jesus

Chapter 5: Jesus is the Kingdom of God, he is the entry point. Don’t lay out mere guidelines as the way, but rather understand Jesus IS the way.

Chapter 6: “1. We Know him by reading about him. 2. We Know him by eating him. 3. We know Jesus by acting like him.” Imitate Christ!

Chapter 8: Sometimes we are persecuted for “poor delivery”. Understand that Jesus had multiple more appropriate ways of presenting the Kingdom to others. He was the most gracious with sinners.

Chapter 9: Talk about Jesus, don’t use meaningless Jargon that others won’t understand. Treat people with love and respect. They are not projects to manipulate, they are human beings.

Chapter 10: “Legalism is the enemy of Jesus”. As soon as we get to a place of knowing at all and losing our humility in learning, we don’t truly Know Jesus. It’s easy to get to a place of pride knowing lots about Jesus but not knowing Jesus himself which demands humility.

Chapter 11: “Jesus confounded the wise and humbled the intellectual”. Why do we assume that we cannot be inspired and in awe of Jesus even further in faith. The mystery of Jesus is one that shall continually blow our minds. As soon as we think we know it all and are not in reverence of the absolute majesty of God, we have an issue.

I read 100% of the book

#storytelling

Profile photo of Johan
    Johan
    Participant

I have read 95% of the book.

Chapter 1: If Jesus was left out of the presentation of the Gospel message it is possible that we would not recognize Him missing (pg. 24).

Chapter 2: We have an unfair advantage. While others go out of their way to defend and explain their religion the only one we must give witness of is Jesus! (pg.38)

Chapter 3: When we preach Jesus we don’t have to own up to all of Christianity’s mistakes; “He owns us” (pg. 47).

Chapter 4: It is not a matter of being “in or out”; our distance from Jesus is not based on doctrine or theology rather it is a matter personal contact with HIM! (pg. 70)

Chapter 5: Jesus is not the CEO of Christianity, He began a community of believers not an institutional church. In fact, Jesus did not come to build a kingdom but brought one with His coming (pg. 79).

Chapter 6: ‘People are turned off by religion but they are attracted to Jesus’. (pg. 92)

Chapter 7: If we tend to think of evangelism as team Christian vs. the World ‘no matter how we add up the score we are losing’ (pg. 103). We should not approach people in this way because instead of showing love we tend to judge.
    Chapter 8: If Jesus appeared one day as I rode the bus, he would likely sit beside the rough looking man and not me. (pg. 114)>

Chapter 9: Little evangelism takes place because we assume that it is meant for the evangelist. We should not look at evangelism as something that we do to people and rather we should engage in the act of making disciples (pg. 126).

Chapter 10: The hunger for Jesus in other parts of the world is true. ‘To the eastern mind… Jesus is a hero’ (pg. 137).

Chapter 11: In our western minds sometimes we uphold the moral teaching of Christianity but reject the self-sacrificial teaching of JESUS! (pg. 148)

Chapter 12: Dear friends and family: ‘Jesus is for you. He is not against you. He actually likes you. It’s my type, the religious ones, who need to be more to careful, lest I find myself opposing HIM’. (pg. 160)

Let’s rid ourselves of what causes us to be resistible for the sake of JESUS: “Jesus is not the guy in the way, HE is The Way!” (pg. 177)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

2016, 2017 © Mark Crocker. All rights reserved.